What do you think it means to be mindful?
Your brain is a powerful part of YOU!
Helps protect us
Flight, fight, freeze
Hippocampus: Memory Saver
Helps us learn and remember
Chronic stress can shrink it
Prefrontal Cortex (PFC): Wise Owl
Helps us make good decisions
Observes, analyzes and remembers
Thinking, planning, reasoning, impulse control
Has a teacher ever said to you...
- You need to calm down
- Time to focus
- You need to pay attention
Did you know?You are going to learn the skills of calming down BEFORE you get upset. Mindfulness helps you before you feel sad or mad.
Mindful Listening - Learning to Be Mindful
30 seconds of mindful listening:
- Sit quietly with eyes closed and just listen to
the sounds around them.
by Julie Bayer Salzman & Josh Salzman
Combining Listening and Breathing
using resonant sound.
Raise your hand when
you no longer hear the sound
Step 2: Practice for 30-60 seconds
Where Do You Feel The Breath?
- Put hand on stomach and breath
- Put hand on chest and breath
- Put hand over nose and breath
- Mindfulness is best practiced “daily.”
- 3 minutes/day is better than 20 minutes/once a week.
- By giving attention to positive experiences, we rewire the brain toward healthy habits of thinking and feeling and away from fight, flight and freeze.
What does Mindfulness mean to you?